Friday, January 17, 2014

UPDATE: IT'S HERE Android 4.3 on the Toshiba Excite Write

Well, it finally showed up in my Software Update, so it looks like it's a fait accomplie: Android 4.3 "W digitizer" is here and installable on your Toshiba Excite Write (and presumably Pro model as well). The actual version number is 4.3.101121114.03, at least on my unit. I'm installing it now and I'll update if there any changes/improvements/issues. I'll have more information in the actual blog article.


The Android 4.3 update for the Toshiba Excite Pro and the Excite Write will be updated using OTA (Over The Air). Unless you've switched notifications off, you will receive a message on your tablet letting you know it's available.

Aside from the user accounts updates and the new bluetooth options, the one feature I'm curious about is support for OpenGL ES 3.0. Presumably there should be improvements in any applications that use 3D technology although the vast majority of those are games. Although OpenGL does have enhanced 2D support, I don't think any of the drawing and sketching apps we use take advantage of this graphics language and instead use the libraries built into Android. Perhaps we'll start to see more 3D drawing and modeling apps make the jump to Android. I'll test the 3D performance once I get it installed.

In the meantime, here is some google marketing spiel on this version of Android.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings. Congrate for the blog with this topic. My expectations about upgrade to 4.3 were great and, partially, most of them, i mean video stabilization and other stuff just made my write tablet to worth the money i spend to buy one. But i do have a bit of problem with wifi, after update, specifically after a specific time of function, internet does not work anymore, even if i do have signal. After disabling and re enabling wifi, problem disapear for some time. I am from Romania, receiving 4.3 update last thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.. I guess they're rolling out 4.3 to Europe first! I noticed that sometimes my WiFi needs to be "restarted" once in a while as well, but that's usually during times that it's in "suspended" state rather than while actively using it. Perhaps it's to conserve the battery? I turned off all of my battery-saving settings and went for full-performance, but it still does it. It's not often enough to make it a nuisance, but I know what you mean!

    ReplyDelete